• 3 minutes e-car sales collapse
  • 6 minutes America Is Exceptional in Its Political Divide
  • 11 minutes Perovskites, a ‘dirt cheap’ alternative to silicon, just got a lot more efficient
  • 3 hours GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES
  • 22 hours Could Someone Give Me Insights on the Future of Renewable Energy?
  • 22 hours How Far Have We Really Gotten With Alternative Energy
  • 23 hours The United States produced more crude oil than any nation, at any time.
  • 11 mins "What’s In Store For Europe In 2023?" By the CIA (aka RFE/RL as a ruse to deceive readers)
  • 6 hours Bankruptcy in the Industry
U.S. Drilling Activity Inches Up

U.S. Drilling Activity Inches Up

The total number of active…

Tesla to Lay Off Over 10% of Global Workforce

Tesla to Lay Off Over 10% of Global Workforce

Tesla is laying off over…

Norway Could Limit Electricity Exports To Avoid Shortages

Norway announced on Friday measures to ensure its security of power supply and could limit some electricity exports to neighboring countries if there is a risk of shortages at home, the government said.   

The government plans to introduce a mechanism under which electricity producers from hydropower – the most common power-generating source in Norway – will be responsible for keeping water levels in reservoirs above certain levels. Producers will also be asked to report water reservoir levels on a regular basis, the Norwegian government said.

Hydropower accounts for 90% of Norwegian power generation. The remaining around 10% of the electricity supply in Norway comes from wind power.

The new plan to keep water levels from falling too low and affecting power generation must be introduced well before the winter of 2023/2024, the government said today.

“We want to ensure there is always enough water in our reservoirs. There should always be enough power in our sockets (at home) and we should have enough power for our industry,” Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere said at a press conference, as carried by Reuters.

The government will set restrictions on power exports if there is a risk of shortages domestically, Norway says.

“It will not serve any of our neighbours if we reach critically low levels (at our reservoirs),” the Norwegian prime minister said.

Norway is not part of the EU but is part of the European Economic Area, a common market.  

ADVERTISEMENT

Last summer’s dry weather across Europe affected Norwegian power generation. While Europe scrambled to procure natural gas for winter power generation and heating, Western Europe’s biggest oil and gas producer, Norway, had a whole different power problem during the summer—dry weather, which depleted water reservoirs for hydropower. Back then, Norway’s authorities asked operators not to export too much electricity to the rest of Europe as reservoirs were not as full as in previous years, and not to rely on imports from the rest of Europe, which was struggling with energy supply. 

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage



Leave a comment

Leave a comment

EXXON Mobil -0.35
Open57.81 Trading Vol.6.96M Previous Vol.241.7B
BUY 57.15
Sell 57.00
Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News