• 3 minutes e-car sales collapse
  • 6 minutes America Is Exceptional in Its Political Divide
  • 11 minutes Perovskites, a ‘dirt cheap’ alternative to silicon, just got a lot more efficient
  • 5 hours GREEN NEW DEAL = BLIZZARD OF LIES
  • 3 days Does Toyota Know Something That We Don’t?
  • 6 days OPINION: Putin’s Genocidal Myth A scholarly treatise on the thousands of years of Ukrainian history. RCW
  • 3 days World could get rid of Putin and Russia but nobody is bold enough
  • 2 days America should go after China but it should be done in a wise way.
  • 6 days CHINA Economy IMPLODING - Fastest Price Fall in 14 Years & Stock Market Crashes to 5 Year Low
  • 5 days China is using Chinese Names of Cities on their Border with Russia.
  • 6 days Russian Officials Voice Concerns About Chinese-Funded Rail Line
  • 5 days CHINA Economy Disaster - Employee Shortages, Retirement Age, Birth Rate & Ageing Population
  • 10 days huge-deposit-of-natural-hydrogen-gas-detected-deep-in-albanian-mine
  • 6 days Putin and Xi Bet on the Global South
  • 6 days "(Another) Putin Critic 'Falls' Out Of Window, Dies"
  • 7 days United States LNG Exports Reach Third Place
  • 7 days Biden's $2 trillion Plan for Insfrastructure and Jobs

The U.S. Wants to Halve Russia’s Oil and Gas Revenues by 2030

The United States will stick to the sanctions on Russian energy as long as Putin persists with his war in Ukraine and Washington looks to halve Moscow’s energy revenues by 2030, a senior U.S. official has told the Financial Times.

“This is something that we’re going to have to stick to for years to come, as long as Putin persists in this war,” Geoffrey Pyatt, United States Assistant Secretary of State for Energy Resources, told FT.  

The U.S. has been leading the efforts of the G7 and the EU to impose sanctions and embargoes on Russian crude oil and fuel exports. The price cap of $60 per barrel of Russian crude oil says that Russian crude shipments to third countries can use Western insurance and financing if cargoes are sold at or below the $60-a-barrel ceiling. The measure took effect at the end of 2022 when the EU imposed an embargo on imports of Russian crude oil.

In October, the United States took a tougher stance on the sanctions against Russia and sanctioned two vessels for violating the price cap. A month later, the U.S. imposed sanctions on three maritime companies based in the UAE and three vessels owned by the companies for shipping Russian oil sold above the price cap.

The West is considering toughening up the sanction enforcement on evaders of the price cap on Russian oil, almost none of which now trades below the ceiling of $60 per barrel.

Russia has amassed a “shadow fleet” of tankers, which helps it ship its oil to international markets, mostly to Asia.

The U.S. is also looking “for ways to make that shadow fleet less effective,” Pyatt told FT.   

Despite a 2% month-on-month decline, Russia’s export revenues from fossil fuels for October were the second-highest for 2023, with a notable rise in seaborne and pipeline crude, according to the latest monthly analysis by the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA).

ADVERTISEMENT

In October, 48% of Russian crude oil and oil products were transported by tankers subject to the oil price cap policy. The rest – 52% -- were shipped by “shadow” tankers, CREA said.

By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com

More Top Reads From Oilprice.com:



Join the discussion | Back to homepage



Leave a comment
  • Mamdouh Salameh on December 01 2023 said:
    The United Stares and its Western allies have tried every singly trick in the book from unprecedented sanctions to bans on Russian energy exports to oil price cap to cripple Russia’s economy and kill its energy exports to no avail. So how is it going to halve Russian energy exports revenues by 2030?

    Despite the sanctions’Russia’s economy is in a far better shape than the UNited States’ and its Western allies and its energy exports particularly oil are breaking records.

    The reason the US will fail in its endeavours is that Russian exports of oil, gas, coal and nuclear fuel are essential for the global economy.

    Dr Mamdouh G Salameh
    International Oil Economist
    Global Energy Expert

Leave a comment

EXXON Mobil -0.35
Open57.81 Trading Vol.6.96M Previous Vol.241.7B
BUY 57.15
Sell 57.00
Oilprice - The No. 1 Source for Oil & Energy News